USAGE OF MOODLE INFORMATION SYSTEM IN THE SECONDARY//SCHOOL
Kamianets-Podilskyi Ivan Ohiienko National University
Scientific Supervisor: a Senior Lecturer Nikityuk S.I
USAGE OF MOODLE INFORMATION SYSTEM IN THE SECONDARY//SCHOOL
In today’s world, the development of information technology has a clear impact on all areas of human activity, including education. Distance learning, MOODLE system included is becoming increasingly popular and in demand, helping pupils continue their learning outside the school in order to gain knowledge.
Keywords: MOODLE, information system, secondary school, distance learning
In the 21st century scientific and technological development reached the top. Every day scientists around the world try to discover something new and unique in different fields of life: medicine, microbiology, physics, chemistry, etc. One of the breakthroughs in pedagogy has been the contrivance of a MOODLE information system that helps pupils and teachers work together in the classroom and in extracurricular performance, knowledge testing, and more. The originator of this system is Australian educator and computer scientist Martin Dugiamas. In 1998 the first version of MOODLE was ushered into the world .
MOODLE spell out Modular Object-Oriented Dynamic Learning Environment and denote a learning environment, which in Ukraine, as well as in other countries, is also referred to as a Learning Management System (LMS), a Course Management System (CMS), a virtual learning environment (VLE) or just a learning platform that helps teachers, pupils and administrators have a very sophisticated suite of tools for computer learning, including distance learning. MOODLE is used in the education of schoolchildren and students, in refresher training, business training, both in computer classes of the school and for independent work at home .
Nowadays MOODLE is the most accomplished and widespread system in Ukraine and in the world for this purpose. It is known that this is a free, open source system that does not require any paid software to operate .
In modern pedagogical system this program is indispensable. It provides the ability to create, manage and design educational information resources. MOODLE is a fairly flexible system: a teacher can create and manage a distance course on his own, to control pupils’ access to these courses, to establish time constraints, to create own assessment systems, to control pupils’ scientific efforts, to check home or extra assignments, to allow or prohibit pupils to retake tests.
Distance learning is gaining in demand not only among teachers and students of higher education, but is also becoming increasingly popular in schools. This is not only at one’s ease because learning becomes possible outside the school, but also productive, since repetition and practice is one of the most effective way of improving and consolidating the knowledge gained.
The MOODLE Information System has great capability for implementing an objective system to monitor and evaluate pupils’ knowledge, skills and competences. The MOODLE monitoring and evaluation mechanism has its own advantages, such as ease of organization, variety of answers and questions, speed of completion, verification and publication of results, accessibility, objectivity of evaluation, compliance with current rates of information flow and more [3;228]. One of the way to control is to use Hot Potatoes Quiz elements. With the help of this program of the editor of interactive tasks, it is possible to develop tests of different complexity and different variations: on multiple choice, filling in the gaps, searching for answers, drawing crossword puzzles. Pupils are also given the opportunity to take tests directly in the e-course system. Especially for this purpose, teachers formulate a list of questions where there is a possibility to transfer them from their own PC base, or they have to create the tasks inside the system. MOODLE also offers a wide variety of questions and answers: multiple choice with one or more correct answers, binary questions, matching, essay writing, answer options where computation is needed, broad and concise answers etc [3;228].
Distance learning in the MOODLE has advantage and disadvantage, some of which were mentioned above. Analyzing the theoretical and practical structure of this system, we can distinguish the following advantages:
1. Psychological aspect. The modern generation uses different gadgets and are accustomed to modern technology from an early age, it is morally easier for them to take tests or to do practical tasks in electronic format because they control the time themselves (the teacher doesn’t announce for the whole class how much time is left until the end of testing and it doesn’t distract pupils from their work and doesn’t exert unconscious psychological pressure); pupils immediately get their results, and they have an opportunity to pass the test if they are not satisfied with their scores;
2. The physiological aspect. The teachers experience shows that it is more comfortable for pupils to work with electronic resources than with printed ones. Pupils who have missed the lesson for some reason can learn the material at home much more effectively than at school during extracurricular times. They can learn in the form of presentations, diagrams, tables, videos and audio materials;
3. When test is completed, pupils have the opportunity to review the tests and note the errors, as there is a correct answer under each test;
4. Pupils can read the material at any time of the day;
5. Each pupil has his own electronic office and it provides an access to materials;
6. The teacher can monitor the activity of pupils in the system.
Inspite of many advantages the MOODLE information system has also some disadvantages:
1. Eyestrain. Constant staying in front of a screen monitor is detrimental to the pupils’ health, especially on the vision;
2. Education is possible only in the presence of the Internet connection and electricity. If one of these two things are absented the studies will impossible;
3. A possible system failure can cause the partial or complete loss of downloaded mater-ials;
4. Pupils get used to work with electronic sources and can’t concentrate attention when working with books;
5. Checking the tests where you need to enter the correct answer may cause problems, because the system checks the answer in the order in which the teacher entered it in advance. If the words are spelled correctly but in the wrong order, the system will count it as an error.
|There is no psychological pressure from the teacher.||Eyestrain.|
|The physical comfort.||Learning is possible with a PC and a computer.|
|Ability to repeat the material at any time.||A failure of the system partial or complete loss of downloaded material.|
|Possibility to observe errors after testing.||Partial loss of ability to concentrate when working with printed material.|
|The opportunity to study at home during illness.||Technical errors.|
|Personal electronic office.|
|An electronic evaluation journal.|
|The ability to control students’ knowledge and homework.|
|The possibility of self-development.|
THE ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES OF USING MOODLE IN THE SECONDARY SCHOOL
We can conclude that the advantages in the MOODLE information system are much available than the disadvantages. The implementation of this platform can motivate to improve pupils’ learning both inside and outside the school. Such system helps to improve knowledge and to keep repeating the material for better memorization. It will motivate pupils to self-education and self-development.
- Бахмат Л.В., Бабакіна О.О. Використання платформи Moodle для вивчення англійської мови. URL: http://www.nbuv.gov.ua/node/2116
- ПасічникО.В. ДИСТАНЦІЙНА ФОРМА УРОКУ. URL: http://www.nbuv.gov.ua/node/2116
- Томіліна А. О. Можливості розробок електронних освітніх ресурсів на базі електронної платформи Moodle під час навчання студентів іноземної мови. Педагогіка вищої та середньої школи. 2015. № 46. С.225-230.